Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Celebrate International Literacy Day!

Today is International Literacy Day -

Literacy is something so many of us take for granted. Honestly, I cannot remember when I couldn't read. I have memories of my mom reading to me from the earliest age, and reading all kinds of things too. There are family pictures showing how she would tape large word signs on and above things, like the light switch on the wall. Obviously this early instruction paid off - though I wish I had more TIME to read all the great things out there.

The Unesco site has a great statement about Literacy that crystalized my thoughts on the importance of this essential life skill -

Literacy is a basic human right, a tool of personal empowerment and a means for social and human development. Educational opportunities depend on literacy.

Here in Huntington Beach, our Literacy and Families for Literacy programs are making a difference every day, helping people develop and improve their literacy skills. The many staff and volunteers who dedicate themselves to help others through our literacy programs and activities really make a difference.

Imagine what you life would be like without the ability to read.

I'm glad that there are people and programs that are working to ensure that this basic human right is open to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment