Thursday, August 26, 2010

Do Ebook readers encourage reading?

This past week, the Wall Street Journal pulled together information from a variety of sources on Ebook readers, and they found that people who purchased an Ereader (like a Kindle or Nook) said they were reading more than before they bought the device.

And Ereader owners were saying that they were reading A LOT more. Men in particular said they were reading more.

Amazon claims that Kindle owners buy 3.3 more books per person than non Kindle owners.

I have to wonder is this because it is so easy to buy a book for a Kindle? Shoot, all you have to do is a quick search and then push a button, and the book is yours. Right here, right now. Can't really get much easier than that. No schlepping into the car or heading out to the shopping center. Talk about impulse buying - you see something, you think it looks interesting, you push a button. Voila. Easy.

But do you really read more?

And if you do read more, does this mean that Ereaders will lead to a reading renaissance?

And I am still trying figure out what this will mean for libraries...

I'd love to hear what other Ereader owners think.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my yes. Since getting an iPod Touch and now an iPad I read much, much more than I used to. I find the LCD screen easier to read than low contrast paper (and recognize that I'm probably in the minority there).

    The biggest factor for me isn't the ease of buying a book, but that I'm carrying around a few dozen books wherever I go. Either the iPod in my pocket or the iPad in my backpack, it's easy to just grab a couple minutes to turn a few more pages in one of my textbooks or the latest from Guy Gavriel Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy the convenience of my Kindle, especially when I travel. I have one device that houses LOTS of books, and also gets me my newspaper every morning. I think the ease of purchase and the convenience of multiple books on the device are a big part of the appeal to the new Ereaders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading a lot more since ebooks. It started when my library joined an Overdrive Consortium. I had access to library books, e-books through my Sony Reader, and Audiobooks with my Ipod. I also keep a selection on my Stanza app for my Ipod. I am never without a book. I have my own data too via Goodreads. 2007 (before Overdrive) I read 17 books, 2008 (with Overdrive) I read 51. 2009 I read 32, but moved libraries so lost my Overdrive. Current library with MyILibrary subscription, 32 books so far this year, probably will hit 60. To me that's thanks to ebooks, audiobooks, and library books ALL from my library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading a lot more since I got my e-reader. I love that I can enlarge the fonts at will. The impulse buy is definitely a big draw as well. The big drawback with my brand of e-reader is that I can't loan my books to family members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly I finished my first book from cover to cover and I am 48 and it was a ebook. Also got another 4 out from my local online library never used my library card much before. I read on a 7 inch Andriod device and love it. Felt really satisfying and an achievement getting to the end of a book for the very first time.

    ReplyDelete