Friday, June 26, 2009

The new Kindle DX from Amazon

My new Kindle DX -

Recently I purchased a Kindle DX from Amazon. I wanted to see what the new electronic readers were like and the new DX had a good sized reading area and seemed to have more features that I could use.

Well, I have to say after having the little white device for over 2 weeks I find that I like it.

It is definitely growing on me...

The best thing about the DX is the “whispernet” wireless connection to Amazon. The instant gratification of downloading a book that I want wherever I am is pretty amazing. But it is easy to be tempted – you have this new device with all this space on it. I have to BUY something, just so I have things on the DX.

I also like the size and weight – it is easy to read, easy to change type font, easy to navigate around. And it certainly reduces the weight of my tote bag coming into work! These are all good things.

What I don’t like about it is the price of books – it is better than purchasing hardcovers (even the ones at Costco that are steeply discounted.). But it is still $10 per book, more or less. So this takes the place of a paperback habit.

I’m going to be taking my Kindle with me on a business trip in July, and I will see how it does as my reading device. I can use it on the airplane – but like all electronic equipment I’ll have to turn in off on takeoff and landing.

So, what does the Kindle mean for libraries? A few libraries are starting to experiment with checking out Kindles so people can try them. I’m wondering about Ebooks in PDF – there’s another source for content. And if the Textbooks on the Kindle tests work, I can see this happening soon.

Do you have a Kindle? Do you want one? Would you want the Library to have books you could "borrow" on the Kindle?

I’d love to hear what people think about the new readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment