Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My first “official” blog post

Hi, I am Stephanie Beverage, the Director of the Huntington Beach Public Library and this is my first official blog post here!

I’ve been working in public libraries for quite a while and one of the most interesting new trends I’ve seen is the increase in communication between libraries and their supporters. Blogs, Wikis and other Web 2.0 technologies really let us hear from you, our library patrons and customers.

We have a really terrific library here in Huntington Beach and I want to make sure that the library just keeps getting better and better. To do that, I know I need to hear from everyone in the community, to find out what you want, what you need and how we might be able to make your lives better and easier.

I also see this blog as a way for me to let you know about the new things we are doing or trying and to talk about trends and developments in libraries that we might want to explore.

One of my most important roles as a Library Director is to serve as a Change Agent and futurist for the Library. What will libraries look like in 3, 5, 10 years from now? What kinds of services will we offer? Are there new ways to connect people to reading and information that can make things easier and faster? What can we do to improve and better meet your needs?

These and other topics will be some of the themes in my discussions in this blog. But I nothing is written in stone. That is one of the great things about blogging – we can talk about whatever is hot, whatever is of the moment. We can talk about details or we can talk about philosophy.

All in all, it should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment